Christmas Card Throwdown

Christmas Card Throwdown

Tuesday 6 May 2014

birthday wishes

This is day 2 in the watercolour online classes, heat embossing mask, I am using watercolour paper, ranger distress ink, and zing clear embossing powder, and did not get a good clear embossing result, I also used the little pad to rub the paper before putting on the embossing ink.   I used an iron with copy paper  to lift the embossing but got these little splodges, which look like snow, but were not intentional, I did not have any success in the previous classes when I tried it.   I used a memory box "Country Landscape" cutting die and watercolour ink, and not having any liquid mask until tomorrow, I used a gel pen, silver, to make the little stars and the sentiment was stamped with a Fiskars stamp, that I have had for ages with Memento ink pad "Tuxedo black", not happy with the result of the embossing technique.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the shading you achieved for the sky in this card and your snowy "splodges" as you called them. It's fun to discover a new texture like that. Did you emboss first and then apply the paint? If you embossed first, it might be that you didn't have adequate coverage of ink on your stamp first. When I am doing this sort of resist technique, I find I often need to emboss the image two or three times to get complete coverage. You stamp, emboss, then fill in any gaps with a Dove blender pen or glue pen, and apply more embossing powder and re-heat. (You want to be careful not to overmelt what is already there.) Look at it carefully under the light and if there are any holes or gaps in your embossing powder, add another layer. It also might have to do with the paper you are using because watercolour paper has a lot of texture or "tooth", which will make stamping a clean image tricky. When you are ironing off your embossing powder, you want to make sure to move the fresh copy paper around so you are always ironing into a "clean" spot. So every time you lift your iron, move the paper. And make sure your iron is as hot as it can go, no steam. What might have happened here is you ironed embossing powder back into the paper. I've done that myself.
    See you in the watercolouring class!

    ReplyDelete